The Remote Responder Program is a 24 hour Wilderness First Aid program consisting of 2 days of classroom instruction and 1 day of practical skills in a wilderness setting. This course is intended for the first aider who has delayed access to emergency resources in order to prepare them to manage emergencies in remote wilderness locations. This course is a great introduction to wilderness first aid and is suitable for those who work in a `non-standard` environment or for those who recreate in the backcountry. It is not suitable for those who will find themselves in a leadership or guiding capacity or for those who will be venturing into truly remote regions for an extended period of time with no additional help available to them.
Participants receive a course workbook, textbook “Medicine for Mountaineering” and a Remote Responder Wilderness First Aid certification. Use of all medical supplies required during the course is included. Participants will have the option to purchase first aid kit and/or supplies at a discounted rate during the course.
*For information on recertifying your Remote Responder Certification click here.
- Principles of Backcountry Emergencies
- Medical, legal and documentation
- Communicable diseases
- Patient Assessment System
- Airway and Breathing Management
- Cardiac Arrest and CPR
- HeartSaver CPR & AED (level C)
- Backcountry CPR Guidelines
- Wound management
- Environmental Emergencies
- Extremity Trauma
- Sprains and Strains
- Head and facial trauma
- Spinal injuries
- Burn Management
- Chest trauma
- Bites, Stings, Poisons and Toxins
- Medical Emergencies
- Loss of consciousness
- Heart Attack
- Allergies and anaphylaxis
- Moving, packing and transportation
- Outdoor First Aid Kits
Manitoba – First Aider 2
Saskatchewan – Class A Attendant
Yukon – SFA
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures – open registration
Private Course Bookings
If you need to cancel your registration for an upcoming program, then the following terms will apply.
- If you cancel your registration 14 days or more prior to a program, all course fees will be returned to you except for a $25 administrative fee.
- If you cancel your registration less than 14 days prior to an upcoming program, then a refund will NOT be issued. Fees can be applied to another program that is being offered within 12 months of the original course date.*PLEASE NOTE THAT COURSE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS MUST STILL BE MET
- No transfers are offered on or after 7 days prior to the course start date. A $25 administrative fee will be charged on all program transfers.
- In the event that Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine cancels an upcoming program, you will receive a full refund of your course fees.
- PLEASE NOTE: When you register for a program that is offered in conjunction with Yamnuska Mountain Adventures, the University of Calgary or Camp Chief Hector, their transfer and cancellation policies are in effect since they handle course registrations. Their cancellation and transfer policies override the Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine policy.
- An ideal course for the back country enthusiast and weekend warriors! This course is not appropriate or adequate for trip leaders, instructors or those undertaking extended travel in remote areas.
Tuesday/Thursday Evenings – 6pm – 10pm
Saturday – 9:00am – 5pm
Sunday – 9:00am – 5pm Field Day
I never got the chance to thank you personally at the end of the Wilderness First Aid Course that I took last week but I would like to thank you now. I enjoyed the course and liked your “laid back” approach to teaching the course, your stories about helping people in emergency situations will forever be imprinted on my brain.
As the teaching vendor for our own Wilderness First Aid Program, Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine has consistently provided our students with the highest levels of quality instruction and professionalism.