Backcountry Emergencies is a 12 hour program that takes a practical approach to managing emergencies in the back country. Course includes an evening classroom session and a full day of wilderness scenarios and learning. Participants will receive a course workbook and a certificate that outlines the course content. This course is not a “recognized” first aid course but is a practical application of first aid principles.
- Principles of Extended Care
- Communicable Diseases
- Airway and Respiratory Management
- Fracture Care
- Wound Management
- Spinal Care
- Environmental Emergencies
- Heat Related Emergencies
- Cold Related Emergencies
- Packaging and Transportation or Bivouac and Stay
- Outdoor First Aid Kits
Who should take this course?
- Individuals just starting out working or playing in the back country
- Individuals who are you looking for an opportunity to increase your skills but do not have a lot of time available
- People who recreate in the back country but don’t tend to find themselves in a leadership role
- Those looking to review skills they have learned on a previous occasion
Use the drop-downs below to get all the specifics!
$145 plus GST
Private Course Bookings
If you need to cancel your registration for an upcoming program, then the following terms will apply.
- If you cancel your registration 14 days or more prior to a program, all course fees will be returned to you except for a $25 administrative fee.
- If you cancel your registration less than 14 days prior to an upcoming program, then a refund will NOT be issued. Fees can be applied to another program that is being offered within 12 months of the original course date.*PLEASE NOTE THAT COURSE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS MUST STILL BE MET
- No transfers are offered on or after 7 days prior to the course start date. A $25 administrative fee will be charged on all program transfers.
- In the event that Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine cancels an upcoming program, you will receive a full refund of your course fees.
- PLEASE NOTE: When you register for a program that is offered in conjunction with Yamnuska Mountain Adventures, the University of Calgary or Camp Chief Hector, their transfer and cancellation policies are in effect since they handle course registrations. Their cancellation and transfer policies override the Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine policy.
If you don’t have much time and you don’t need a certificate, this is a great course for you! This practical 12 hour course looks at potential injuries and emergencies that may arise during your backcountry adventure and focuses on how to manage them effectively. Note: This is a practical, non certified course
We have worked with RMAM for 10 years and then have ran our Wilderness First Aid, Swift Water Rescue and Outdoor Survival Courses. They are very passionate about what they do and we have full confidence in their teaching, skills and experience. We trust them to teach our clients how to be safe in the outdoors. We have come to rely on them as experts in the field and have can always depend on them to deliver.