The Advanced Adventure Medic / Wilderness First Responder Program is an 80 hour Wilderness First Aid program. Delivery format varies but includes 4 days (or equivalent hours) of practical skills in a wilderness setting with the remaining hours in the classroom. This is a comprehensive, professional level training program suitable for those who work in a `non-standard` environment, those who will be venturing into truly remote regions for an extended period of time with no additional help available to them, and for those who take on a leadership role in the back country. It is the “industry standard” for professional responders such as guides, ski patrol and specialized search and rescue teams.
Training focuses on the long term implications for initial care, stabilization and evacuation of patients in remote wilderness locations and provides participants with the skills and techniques to manage emergencies over an extended period of time. The primary focus of the program is in dealing with backcountry emergencies where specialized equipment is largely unavailable. Scenarios provide participants with opportunities to manage different situations where conventional techniques may not work and where the rescuer must use the “principles of treatment” for an effective outcome.
The medical principles taught in the program align with the Wilderness Medical Society practice guidelines. Participants receive a Course Workbook, PowerPoint Handout, Medical Incident Report Forms, textbook “Wilderness First Responder”, and an Advanced Adventure Medic Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certification. Both encompass Health Care Provider level CPR & AED.
Self Study and Homework Assignments are an integral part of this program. Use of all medical supplies required during the course is included. Participants will have the option to purchase first aid kit and/or supplies at a discounted rate during the course.
* For Advanced Adventure Medic / Wilderness First Responder recertification courses click here
- Principles of Backcountry Emergencies
- Medical, legal and documentation
- Communicable diseases
- Patient assessment system
- Airway and Breathing Management
- Oxygen therapy
- Cardiac Arrest and CPR
- Healthcare Provider CPR & AED
- Backcountry CPR Guidelines
- Wound Care
- Environmental emergencies
- Spinal injuries
- Extremity Trauma
- Sprains and strains
- Fractures (pelvic and femur)
- Head and facial trauma
- Burn Management
- Chest Trauma
- Rib fractures/flail chest
- Crush injuries
- Pneumo thorax
- Abdominal trauma
- Bites, Stings, Poisons and Toxins
- Wild land animal attacks
- Medical emergencies
- Loss of consciousness
- Heart Attack
- Allergies and Anaphylaxis
- Abdominal Emergencies
- Obstructed Bowel
- Gall Stones
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Kidney Stones
- Obstetrical Emergencies
- Child Birth
- Neo-natal care
- Emergencies in child birth
- Pre and post natal emergencies
- Moving, packaging and transportation
- Critical incident stress management
- Search and Rescue basics
- Dental Emergencies
- Outdoor First Aid Kits
- Drug Protocols
Advanced Adventure Medic OR Wilderness First Responder Certification including Healthcare Provider CPR & AED training. Course Content is identical for both programs.
Advanced Adventure Medic
Certification is recognized by Alberta Workplace Health and Safety and will allow for mobility between Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Yukon. To be eligible for this option, participants MUST provide proof of Standard First Aid Certification recognized by Alberta OH&S and dated no more than 1 year prior to the start date of the AAM course.
Wilderness First Responder
There is no pre-requisite for this course. Certification is NOT recognized by Alberta Workplace Health & Safety. The two courses are identical other than the need for this prerequisite.
There is a 3 and a 5 day recertification courses available. For information click here.
Wilderness First Responder – No OH&S Equivalency. Recognized by: Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG), American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA), Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia (SKGABC).
BC – OFA 3 level equivalency
Manitoba – First Aider 3
Saskatchewan – Class B Attendant
Yukon – Advanced First Aid
$835.00 + GST per person
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures – open registration
Private Course Bookings
If you need to cancel your registration for an upcoming program, then the following terms will apply.
- If you cancel your registration 14 days or more prior to a program, all course fees will be returned to you except for a $25 administrative fee.
- If you cancel your registration less than 14 days prior to an upcoming program, then a refund will NOT be issued. Fees can be applied to another program that is being offered within 12 months of the original course date.*PLEASE NOTE THAT COURSE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS MUST STILL BE MET
- No transfers are offered on or after 7 days prior to the course start date. A $25 administrative fee will be charged on all program transfers.
- In the event that Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine cancels an upcoming program, you will receive a full refund of your course fees.
- PLEASE NOTE: When you register for a program that is offered in conjunction with Yamnuska Mountain Adventures, the University of Calgary or Camp Chief Hector, their transfer and cancellation policies are in effect since they handle course registrations. Their cancellation and transfer policies override the Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine policy.
Private Courses Only
At Camp Chief Hector YMCA, the health and safety of campers and staff members is our top priority. We need to be at the front edge of health and safety regarding prevention and emergency response. Rocky Mountain Adventure Medicine has always supplied the thorough, engaging and professional training that helps us do our best. Their administrative staff and their field staff are always helpful. Their courses are focused and informed. Their instructors are professional, respectful and caring. The staff and campers from Camp Chief Hector YMCA enjoy their courses!